A hobby is an activity that a person enjoys doing in their leisure time for relaxation or enjoyment. Hobbies can be a wide range of activities, including sports, crafts, games, musical instruments, gardening, and more. People often pursue hobbies because they find them enjoyable, fulfilling, or challenging. They can provide a sense of accomplishment and give people a chance to learn new skills or explore their interests. Some people also enjoy socializing with others who share the same hobby, whether in person or online. Furthermore, hobbies can be a great way to relax and de-stress, and can also lead to new friendships.
A Hobby I love
A hobby that I’d like to share is pressing flowers and making a journal out of them. I started collecting different kinds of flowers, examining them, writing their names, and tried pressing them in a notebook. To those who are new to pressed flowers, they are flowers that have been flattened and dried between the pages of a heavy book or under a weight. You can use them for projects like a journal or greeting cards, scrapbooks, or creating art pieces.
I believe that this process preserves the natural beauty and color of the flowers, allowing them to be displayed or used in crafts for an extended period of time. To press flowers, you will need a stack of heavy books, wax paper, and of course the flowers you want to press. For the procedure you will have to:
- Gather your materials – heavy books, wax paper, and the flowers
- Prepare the flowers – remove any leaves or stems and gently pat the flowers dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Lay out the wax paper – open one of the books and lay a sheet of wax paper on one of the pages. Then, place the flowers on the wax paper in a single layer, making sure they do not overlap.
- Close the book – make sure the flowers are not damaged and place a second sheet of wax paper on the other page of the book and repeat the process with the remaining flowers.
- Add weight – place the book with flowers below the stack of heavy books or anything that can add weight on top.
- Allow the flowers to dry – leave the flowers to dry for at least a week. You can check on them periodically to make sure they are drying properly.
- Remove the flowers – once the flowers are completely dry, gently remove them from the wax paper and store them in a dry, cool place and finally use them for your projects.
Based on my experience, the last step which is to store them in a dry and cool place was difficult since I live in the Philippines with a humid and warm climate. I had problems when the molds started to develop thus I have to constantly clean them with a brush.
Designing my Journal
"Isn't it ironic how we kill flowers because we find them beautiful"
For many people, the beauty of a flower is subjective and depends on their personal preferences and cultural background. My obsession with flowers allows me to enjoy the aesthetics of flowers and enjoy collecting and displaying them as a form of art or decoration. A flower field would be a perfect place for me to relax and pick flowers as a way to connect with nature.